Setting type for panel #4 is pretty much like the other three panels with one significant exception – the text contains a character for which there is no glyph in the face I’m using: a lowercase “e” with a diaeresis above it. The face has several glyphs with umlauts: ä, ö, and ü – (visually, pretty much the same thing) – but no ë.

My first thought was to cut off an umlaut  from one of the accented sorts and put it on top of the “e,” but that proved impractical because of the individual sort widths were too wide. As luck would have it, two “period” sorts in this face are very nearly the same total width as the sort for the lowercase “e,” so it was relatively easy to use blue tape and super glue to align and join the two periods precisely into what can be best described as a free-range diaeresis. 

Trimming ever so slightly with a hand miter brought it to the precise width of the “e” sort, and I then used my Hammond saw to trim the bottom to fit above the “e” glyph. This move was kind of tricky, so I used two double quads as vise jaws in the saw to hold the work securely and accurately. Using the same setup, I trimmed the top of the “e” and used the align-and-superglue trick again to glue the diaeresis to the top of the “e.”  

Using the same setup on the saw, I then trimmed the resulting sort to the correct height (confirmed with a digital height gauge), and it fit right in.

So, in full disclosure, it took three attempts to achieve what I wanted. The first attempt used an umlaut, which proved too wide. The second attempt (using periods) was much better, but I messed up on the last stroke of the hand-mitering operation. So apparently, third time’s the charm.

The final panel is done. It’s now down to 11% moisture content, so I should start trying to figure out how to frame the set of four.

For the record, dampening paper is best done on single-color work. Registration of second and third colors becomes interesting when the paper stretches and shrinks as much as a full pica (1/6 of an inch), depending on moisture content. Printing moisture content varied from 19% to 21%; dry paper is in the 8% to 9% range.

Yes, I bought a moisture meter.